Thursday, February 20, 2020

Harischandra (2)


2. The Hunt

Have you seen heaven, O postmodern man,
you who waste your time in wise fooleries
deconstructing texts on nature's glory
expressed in breathlong phrases without rhyme?
A centreless self-centred world that moves
around the sun's gravitational force
forms your social paradise of grief,
while your greed pollutes rivers, cuts trees down,
poisons consumer's daily nourishment
and deadens the conscience of even those
who would otherwise not have gone astray.
If this is the only world you have known,
there's more reason to take this flight with me
to the wonderful past of tretayug
when unmolested nature, food enough
for body and soul, catered to man's needs.
He had only to take what he needed,
he needed not to hoard and boast of wealth.
The poor were provided for by the state,
the talented by the social system,
the educated by the mindful king;
none lacked, nor were they lazy, but disposed
to useful toil with which they built their dreams.
Ethics and etiquette were so observed
that—fie upon modern social ways
that traffic girls and wed the infant child—
there was no erring from sweet nature's course.

In such a time and place Harishchandra
ruled over a happy populace.
His palace gates were open to the poor,
to brahmins, to sages, in fact to all
who sought his help, kindness and charity
each early morning when prayers were said
and worship made to the great Lord. He then
would give alms and charity to seekers
and only thereafter sit in judgment
upon his kingly throne. When all was done,
he was a lover of the wooded wild
where he gamed fleet stags and fleeter deer
for sport that strengthened brawn and relaxed brain.

'Twas on a heaven connived occasion
that, mounted on a silver stallion, he
the king, with his selected able men,
excitement written on horse and rider
both stimulated by mere thought of chase,
rode through the forest seeking quarry
far and deep inside the dense sylvan womb
rich in life of various sorts on land
in water and in the green canopy.
Deep into the forest they rode, found tracks
of tigers, wild boars, elephants and deer,
but animal saw none, not even by
the pool where they were wont to quench their thirst.
The sun was past his zenith and the chase
had thus far proved futile; the leafy warmth
added to the exhaustion of the ride
produced only clammy moisture that stuck
clothes to skin and felt heavy in the breath.
Horses neighed pleadingly to return home
for even they thought luck was dry today.

But the determined king with royal blood
in his veins, a fighter he, loathe to quit,
leaving therefore the main body of men
behind, advancing with just a couple
of bodyguards who would not desert him,
arrived upon a higher ground from where
he espied a rich and luscious stretch of land
where grazed a herd of deer and antelopes.
Motioning with upraised palms a caution
lest the grazing herd sense a present death,
he advanced unobserved, unsensed, unheard
till he was within shaft-shot distance near.
From out his quiver he took a pointed shaft
and laid it gently on the string and bow
and pulled at shoulder level sighting well,
but before he could let fly the arrow
the herd was fleet in motion and he missed
his mark. Yet, failure is to a king
powerful prompting to action once again.

They raced, he raced; they fled through thickets dense,
he shot behind with whirling speed immense;
they thundered, he galloped; they rushed for life,
he rushed for victory; they foamed, he panted;
they scattered and he followed a special one.
How far the stallion's hoofs had drummed their way
there's none to tell; but, when he thought he won,
for he had a deer within his shaft's range
and was about to plunder life, he heard
another life seeking help with loud cries:
"O help! Help! Someone help me please! O help!"
His fingers froze, the arrow fell, hands dropped
with bow still clutched, the prey was lost to sight.

For just a moment the king was confused
for he did not know from which direction
the distress signal came. He looked around.
His stallion sensing something amiss
slowed to a trot, but Harishchandra took
the rein in hands as he now rightly judged
and followed the direction of the cry,
aroused to indignation, crying thus:
"Who dares victimize a weakling in this
my virtuous kingdom? Stop! Stop at once!
Dare you invoke my righteous ire so?
Beware! the flame of justice will so singe
the soul of female victimizer, he
will for ever suffer the racks of hell!"
The unseen female voice still shrilled through leaves
and thickets of the fearful wilderness
as, with best intentions of succoring
the needy, the chivalrous king rushed forth
in keeping with the duty of a king.

He turned around the thicket densely leaved
and to his utter surprise found no girl
or ravished female old or young, no one,
not even the ravisher, but, alas,
a holy hermit seated at the foot
of century-old trunk of pipal tree
newly aroused from soul-deep meditation
so that life and passion stirred the agèd limbs
to rude awakening from godful dream.
Up rose the irate sage; his eye-balls red
with anger sought the trespasser; his hand
reached for the kamandalu, water-pot
with which to cast a curse upon the king,
sad intruder into the sage's realm.
"How dare you, foolish man, disturb my peace
and rouse me from holy meditation
of the Lord? And now my anger has caused
a partial loss of virtue I have earned
over a long, hard period of time.
For this I will punish you with a curse."
So saying he poured some holy water
in the cup of his palm now fisted hard
and raised it like Indra his thunder bolt
that neither pities nor fears counter blow.

"Forgive me sage!" Cried the dismounted king,
now on his knees, his palms thick glued with fear,
but more with sincere remorse for having
with good intentions done an awful deed.
"Forebear a while ! I, Harishchandra, beg
a fair hearing before the sentence falls."
To such a plea for justice the kind sage
could certainly not have turned a deaf ear
even had it come from another man
than Harishchandra; but he spoke with rage:
"Harishchandra? The liar king who once
broke a sacred vow made to god of sea?
You are a wicked man, Harishchandra,
more wicked for disturbing my sweet peace.
Given your wicked past and present crime,
I see no reason why I should allow
you to go free; but, I will hear you out,
in the name of justice. So speak. Be brief."

The humble king explained his conduct thus:
"Sweet sage ! You give me hope no hunted deer
ever received from me as through the wild
I chased it without remorse. I have learnt
the meaning of mercy even as I,
with full knowledge of culpability,
humbly genuflect with deep reverence
before a soul of justice in good ire;
having lost prudence in the heat of chase,
I did not guard myself against the fact
that the wilderness is not just a place
for fun and game of royal hunting troops,
that great hermits and god-seeking souls
seek its silence and solitude and peace
for better things than princes ever do.
Kind sage, nor am I one to brawl in vain
and disturb a soul in meditation;
I heard a damsel's distressed cry for help,
and sought to find the wicked foe of man
who, forsaking virtue, chose to walk
the sure sinful path of destruction dread.
It is the duty of a noble king
to guard his people from all evil harms,
to protect the weak, succor those in need,
and maintain justice in the virtuous land.
Did I do wrong, wise sage? Abiding by
my royal duty? Seeking to punish
the criminal? To save the weak female?
Did I do wrong? O say, Vishwamitra,
sage of great renown ! Friend of mortal man !
Did I do wrong to challenge such a foe?
Had I been prudent, I would not have thus
voiced my anger and roused you from your trance.
Punish me for my imprudence, but not
for intended malice, holy sage."

The angry sage abetted a little,
relaxed his posture, but still frowned and spoke:
"You speak with wisdom. Your humility
and remorse have touched me. Yet your offence
must still be reckoned with. I will not cast
the curse I was about to cast; instead
I'll satisfy myself with recompense
like victims do in royal courts of law.
I too have heard of you, O king, as one
who is generous in alms and charity,
as one who keeps his words and never lies,
and, if only to test the truth of rumor,
I ask you to give me what I want."

"O heaven ! You are kind and just ! O sage,
ask and receive all that a king can give
and you shall have it: wealth, honor or rank.
Name it and 'tis yours as soon as spoken.
For what is there in this impermanence
that I can hold on to with life or love
except the grace of the Everlasting?
For what is there in this clay and matter
that I can hold on to with avid greed?
For what is there in this kingdom I rule
that I can hold on to as if I owned
what I've been assigned to keep for others?
My pleasure lies in giving, not hoarding,
in sharing with the world, not possessing.
When the needy seek, I give to sustain
their lives; but, when a sage seeks, I offer
all I have with great hopes of being blessed."

Harishchandra spoke from within his heart
where truth lay embedded like a jewel
in a snake's forehead, unseen but really there.
Still with folded hands, some distance from
the frothing stallion, awaited he
the pleasure of a sage's wish to know.
Vishwamitra smiled the faintest smile
that ever lips are able to design
and, transforming the fist into a palm,
he blessed the king inwardly, wished him well,
prayed that he succeed in upholding truth
and thereby human worth and dignity;
but spoke the sage, his voice still ringing hard:
"Give me your kingdom, king, no more I want."
"You have it sage !" Replied Harishchandra
without the briefest hesitation
or second thoughts about so rich an alms,
with deepest reverence and folded palms.

No comments:

Post a Comment