Thursday, February 20, 2020

Harishchandra (6)


6. Revelation

When many-fisted fate shatters high hopes
and perplexes the mind, our views upturn.
When those we expect to love and help us
refuse to do so, feelings cauterize.
When parents, king, and god who should protect
a child from harm become his enemy,
a scared and abandoned Shunashepa
stops crying, laughs with death, becomes a saint.
When Shaibya heard an honest husband speak,
she remained the same faithful wife she was
and replied not in anger or dismay
but gently spoke, "We must cremate our son.
I do not know where we will raise the sum
to pay for funeral service for I
have nothing more than what I wear.
But God be thanked ! For half of this will do !"
So saying Shaibya pulled the cotton cloth
she wrapped around her female decency
and tearing half of it she gave it to
Harishchandra as beggar's payment poor
for service at the ghat and this he took
from his wife before he built the pyre
on which to set his son and light the fire.

And now with heavy heart he was about
to transfer fire with the kusha grass
onto the camphor stuck between blue lips
of darling Rohitashwa plucked by death
long before he had even fairly bloomed;
he was about to offer up his son
to Agni, god of fire, though he should
long ago have offered up the same
to Varuna, but did not out of love;
he was about to light the pyre when
a gentle hand upon his shoulder fell
and a voice he recognized all too well
spoke gently this: "O king, forebear a while !"
For Vishwamitra had appeared as if
through curtains of the dark and holy night,
for sages then travelled through skyie paths
invisible to average human eyes
and knew through meditation what went on
anywhere on earth, underworld or  skies.
He then related to the perplexed king
the gist of hot debate in heaven high
and Harishchandra understood the cry
of helpless female voice in sylvan depths
and hermit-haunted wilds where game he sought.
Then spoke the sage, "The trial is over,
I am delighted with your honesty
and now the kingdom's yours, Harishchandra.
Rule with justice. May peace descend thereon."

"The gods are kind to focus their debate
on a poor show like me. I am honoured
to find a place in multifarious
crossroads of divine minds that loose not track
of minutest beings and events that
are or come to pass in this wild, wide world.
And Vishwamitra, you have greatly raised
my unworthy self to significance
in the eyes of gods; but, alas ! I weep
for I am human; heavy elements
of grief and misery do weigh my heart
in accordance with my nature for here
my dear child lies cold and dead. O, I weep
when I should faint with joy on knowing all
that has kindly come to pass in heaven."

Even as he uttered these sad, slow words,
like warm, radiant rays that tear apart
the gloomy, sable clouds that overcast
and hang menacingly low upon earth
which glows in spots caressed by these and smiles,
the brahmin and his barrel-woman came
walking in heavenly glory, followed by
a multitude of many brilliant gods
who came to bless the greatest man on earth.
Sweet effulgence now lit the ghat where gods
mingled with miserable humans low
and Ganga herself so melted tonight
with quick emotions as she murmured by
that bank and river met like gods and men.
And as Indrani clasped Shaibya and smoothed
her sorrows to peaceful calm, Indra smiled
in glorious lustre and him addressed:
"Your sorrow's over, King Harishchandra !
Weep no more for your son returns to life.
Behold ! He rises like a second dawn
after a morning tempest shrouded him
for just a little while, yet glorious,
yet soft, yet bright. I give him back to you."

And, indeed, Rohitashwa stirred his limbs,
opened his eyes and wondered why he lay
on top of a pyre. The mother quick
lifting him to her arms so kissed and cried
and hugged him close that tearless eyes of gods
felt a mortal chip like we feel the dust
that irritates the eyes and makes tears flow.
The humble father dumbfounded now,
delighted, yes, and overjoyed indeed,
praised great Indra for such mercy as none
on earth could ever expect again.
And when the family were one and joy
still great,  Indra addressed the truthful king:
"For pain on pain now joy on added joy
you have earned for yourself, Harishchandra.
You now deserve heaven and I its king
invite you to come with me where you shall
remain fore'er a proud and royal guest."

The king grew serious and soft replied:
"Great Indra ! Bountiful you are indeed !
You give me child and wife and future hopes;
what more can I ask of anyone? Yet,
you offer me a place in heaven too !
How can I ever hope to find again
an opportunity like this to serve
the gods of heaven and be blessed by them?
Yet, before I answer, let me request
my master chandala for permission
to leave my job and go to grand heaven.
Allow me, kind Indra, to seek him first
and see what he advises. This I must."

Even as he spoke, with timing precise,
behind him stood his master chandala,
now more like bright Varuna than the dark
bearded lord of fearful cremation ground,
and he spoke with such divine gentleness
that Harishchandra bowed with reverence:
"King ! Accept my reverence. No more I
shall demand a test of your mettle's worth.
I know you for an honest, truthful man,
one in billions, a gem of humankind !
Unlike divine beings, humans
transcend into higher and nobler planes
of existence through sheer effort of will;
they rise through humility; they surprise
heaven itself through such achievements great
as seem beyond them in the eyes of gods.
This was what Vishwamitra propounded
in heaven before we all decided
to shower suffering upon your soul
to test its adherence to noble truth
and honesty in miserable times;
but, now we are ashamed, Harishchandra,
to have doubted your virtue where it glowed
like youth on teenage cheek, like pink on rose,
like green on cotyledons, or like gold
in the globe that glows bright at heaven's gate.
I cannot give you permission to go
to heaven for I too there play the host.
So, come in all your radiant glory
to eternal heaven for the trials
and tribulations have now come to end."

Astounded Harishchandra stood aghast
and trembled in his limbs amidst the host
of effulgent divinities gathered
by the Ganges ghat, exit from sweet earth,
and turning to the sea-god softly said,
"Kind Varuna ! If this was but a trial,
let more such follow to humble my soul
and teach it to efface itself away.
This for me is blessing; education
in being meek and humble is the best.
And today I am deeply moved indeed
by the kindness and affection that gods
have bestowed on me. Willing to heaven
I would come, great Indra, but how can I
without my people who love me dearly?
The king is husband of the state and he
may not divorce the people for his joy.
So permit me to bring them all with me
to your eternal kingdom, O kind lord!"

The gods stood perplexed now and smiling looked
at each other, for they knew that no man
had thus far been allowed transit therein
with his course physical body; but now
they owed Harishchandra a favour too.
Then Indra spoke: "O king! They do not have
sufficient virtue to enter heaven."
"Then let them share the virtue I have earned,"
replied the king of charity at once.
And this was done. And, with all citizens
of blessèd Ayodhya, king Harishchandra
ascended to bright heaven, as is told
by many worthy mouths and pens who have
sung his praise, for praised must all truthful men
be on earth which now abounds with such as
place their own selfish end above all means
without a needle prick, without a qualm,
for conscience is now a thing of the past
although man must return to truth at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment