Thursday, February 20, 2020

Harishchandra (3)


3. Exile

O, what a noble deed it is to give,
to shed the weight of all that drags us down
to the bog of course matter, to allow
the light spirit to rise above the self
that ever seeks itself through attachment
to something—name, fame, pelf, power or words.
It is mortal to seek, human to give;
by giving man ascends to human heights.
The seeking soul can only justify
through reasons queer to saintly sacrifice
the purpose of his material quest;
the giver foregoes all his claims upon
not just the thing he gives, but reason too,
and by devotion to another kind
lives not in the body but in the mind.

And so our reverend forefathers preached
and practiced rites of charity, for which
to be consummated an addition
though of a smaller quantity was thought
an utmost requirement. He who gave
had to accomplish the act of giving
by a second service though nominal.
This was what Vishwamitra asked of him
who now no longer was Ayodhya's king.
"I am pleased with the largeness of your heart,
Harishchandra. I now demand that you
supply the complementary alms to me
or else your charity remains undone."

"Allow me sage," replied the pauper king,
"to call my men and send them home to bring
the required sum from my treasury."
"No, no !" Cried the sage, "That you shall not do,
for what was yours is all mine, everything:
the royal coffer, crown and scepter all !
You may no longer touch these, and the men
no longer serve a man no longer king.
So, be done with your act of charity
and, leaving my kingdom, go somewhere else."

This poignant truth so struck his conscious mind
like hammer a smith's anvil that perplexed
he stood and looked around as if
he did not stand upon solid ground.
Poor charitable soul, he had no means
to accomplish his act of charity
and thus felt suspended like his father
between a heaven of virtue and a fall
to soul-shattering stones and cruel rocks.
He thought and thought but found himself at loss
of solution to his predicament;
speechless he gazed at earth and sky, ashamed,
his soul mortified, heavy heart weighed down.
Addressing this speechless king, spoke the sage:
"Speak up, man! Why do you thus stare at me?
Do you repent your act of charity
and wish you had not spoken so soon?
I am a hermit of the wilderness
who does not need your kingdom or your crown;
take it back, for I do not accept gifts
offered half-heartedly and with remorse,
such greed-stained gifts are better left alone."

Sable clouds on the sage's hoary brow
rich with the charge of anger, dripping too,
threatened to drown the virtue of one
who now came slowly out of self-defeat
through prolonged silence; he then slowly spoke:
"No, sage ! Curse me instead as you then were
about to do so rather than return
that which I have offered with all my heart;
mistake not my silence for selfishness,
my present plight that grips me like a vice
for irresponsible silence. Sweet sage,
since I have given all, I have no more
to give at this time and place. Allow me
a little time in which to earn and give,
for I will work like any citizen
to give you what is now your due. I will."

Condescending to such an earnest plea,
Vishwamitra replied with dignity:
"Six months you shall have, Harishchandra. Go !
When the sun returns with warmer rays,
return with my dues, no later, or else
you are not worth your words. With wife and child
leave this country and find a work elsewhere."


Grateful Harishchandra thanked the sage
and, doffing off his crown, his ornaments
of gold and ruby, topaz, silver, jade,
he placed these at the hermit's feet and left.
The curious stallion looked at him
and wondered why it was abandoned thus,
but the sage had sunk into the silence
of soul-deep meditation once again.

The ex-king hiked his homeward way alone,
but not quite alone for those who had come
to hunt with a king followed a beggar
they loved nevertheless with all their heart;
nor did they ride although each had a horse,
for how could they who felt their ex-king's plight
without any power to change its course?
Some rushed ahead to break the news at home,
not happy though to carry out this task
because they feared the queen might burst with grief
too heavy for the messenger to bear,
because they feared the prince might go insane
with sudden change of fortune untoward,
because they feared the courtiers would weep
to lose a loving king all just and wise,
because they feared the people would collect
into an unruly crowd and create
a hindrance on the path of virtue's march.
Yet on they rushed, the news spread fast and thick,
faster than winds that blow over the sea,
thicker than solid, sable clouds that hang
over a country struck with darkest grief.

'Twas late afternoon when Harishchandra
arrived at the city gate; people there
formed a silent, sullen mass of onlookers
whose eyes were reddening like the softening sun.
There stood his wife and son, attired now
not in regal splendour and ornaments
as befitted them, but, alas, in plain,
meagre length of as course a cotton cloth
as can humbly guard human decency.
Yet Shaibya looked as pure as fine, fresh rays
of primal sunshine on the fresh, wet earth
and Rohitashwa, rosy dew-drop he,
one the other's support. They awaited
Harishchandra's arrival to depart.

He looked at wife and son and knew that they
knew everything that he may have to say,
eyes spoke to eyes, soul to soul, and he then
addressed his wife and son: "I have given
the crown, the sceptre and the kingdom too
to sage Vishwamitra who now commands
that we leave his country. So, let us go."

But as they stept forth from the palace gate
onto the city's major public street,
the large crowd that gathered on both its sides
to witness the royal exile so sad
closed like a door against their forward march.
"Go not, king ! O stay ! Stay with us yet,"
cried one from the crowd, a heart-broken soul;
another cried, "Do not abandon us !
We will be orphaned by your departure.
Where will you go, truthful Harishchandra?
Like Aditya, the sun god, will you too
disappear behind the trees and let night
entomb us in the darkness of your absence?
O do not go ! Noble soul ! Stay with us !"

"I have to go, friends," said Harishchandra,
"for sage Vishwamitra has wished it so.
I have to go. This is my destiny.
Stop me not with sad tears and woeful cries
when painful parting from the ones I love
already weighs tons upon my heavy heart.
Yet joys and sorrows, simple ups and downs
in the topography of life, must not
deter the virtuous march of life itself
to destined goals of duties to fulfill.
I go to Kashi, sacred spot on earth,
where I will work and earn and save the dues
I owe to the sweet sage and must pay him
within these six months. Deter me not, friends,
for that would be indeed unfriendly act;
but give me leave and wish me well so that
even in foreign lands I do not lose
confidence in myself or faith in God."

"Truthful soul," yet another cried, dismayed
at the tragic turn of the king's fortune,
"you do not have to go to Kashi thus
to pay your dues, for we will raise it here."
"Thank you, friend," replied the king, "but, alas,
I cannot accept what you raise for me,
for alms are not given by raising alms;
when I offered the kingdom to the sage,
I offered him its people and their wealth,
I cannot dip my fingers here and then
pretend at charity. So give me leave.
The sun is 'bout to step upon the peak
and wolfish night with hungry jaws draws near,
a long and toilsome journey lies ahead
without a horse or hope to rest in bed."
So saying he stept forth and led the way
to make the best of distance in light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment