Thursday, February 20, 2020

Harishchandra (7)


7. Epilogue

Except on days I teach, I stay at home
and read or write or grade papers alone
for everyone else has school or office
in daylight hours. In this solitude
I hate to have the carpet-monger's shout,
the vegetable peddler's ill-timed call,
or the late hermit's cymbals or his conch
disturb my profound reveries or thoughts.
Since such things happen every now and then,
though somewhat irked by a dark man's presence
at my gate, I was more surprised when he
instead of stretching out a begging bowl,
gazed at me like a visitor and sought
permission to take up a few moments
out of my busy hours. How could I
under the spell of deep, dark eyes and face
writ all over with serious intent
not comply to such a stranger's request?

I offered him a chair under the eave
beside the chrysanthemum bed and said,
"I did not catch your name." He smiled and said,
"Harishchandra." Amused, I studied him.
Wrapped in a single piece of cloth he sat
composed and calm, his sturdy wooden staff
against the arm of the chair, his long hair
cascading down upon his straight shoulders.
"Harishchandra?" I asked. "Harishchandra,"
he replied, but offered no surname yet
as if that name alone was proof enough
of his entire being here on earth.
Amused, rather than seek to understand
the purpose of his visit, I displayed
my sense of humour by telling him
that it was indeed a coincidence
that I too had written under a whim
an account of Harishchandra and his wife
in Devkotian blank verse. Here he smiled.
"I know," he said, "and that is why I came."
"None but a few intimate friends know that
I have scribbled off this ancient tale
for lack of fresher imagination
to concoct a new one. How would you know
what I have done? You, whom I hardly know?'
"You know me well," replied the sober man,
"but not well enough to put together
the real me and the me you wrote of.
I am Harishchandra, the king, whom fate
turned into a cremator at Kashi's ghat
now named after me. Though gone long ago,
I visit all who praise my truthfulness."

Astounded, I looked with disbelieving eyes
at one who claimed to be almost as ancient
as earth itself. I felt an awe suffuse
through all my limbs, up every strand of hair
that stood erect. My heart galloped away.
A lump of silence choked my throat and I
would have frozen in my seat had not the sun
and broad daylight given me confidence.
"Do not fear me," said Harishchandra.
"I come as friend, a visitor who seeks
the soul of truth in a false and corrupt world.
I seek to know if truth lives in your heart."
Comforted by these words, I dared utter
though in a subdued schoolboy tone,
"I only wrote to wipe my boredom off.
Neither a seer nor a poet, I,
having enjoyed my father's Shakuntala,
imitated his style in secrecy,
without the least intent to publicize
your perverse fate or the arrogance of gods.
But, oh! I am so fortunate to meet
an honest person like you in this age
and putrid times. Tell me, truthful king,
have you ever lied to anyone?"

Grave and silent he sat for a moment,
recalling, I guess, long lost days of yore,
and, in a voice as profound as the sea,
he measured all his words out to me:
"I am as human as a man can be.
To say that I never lied would not be true.
Yet, there were others who lived before me
and were called by the same name that I have.
This is why you have confused the liar
with me who was born ages afterwards."
"Writers lie," I said, "for fun or impact.
Since I am not a scholar of ancient texts,
I thought I'd insist on human potentials
rather than on historical precision."
"That's fine," he said, "as long as you convey
the power of truth as potent remedy
for a corrupt age. All lies are not lies:
some seek to deceive, some to enhance mind."

"True, but unversed writing speaks of laziness
which doubly deceives both reader and he
who pretends at greatness through poetry.
Yet even those who seek to know the facts
find themselves at loss for lack of record
of incidents such as when, in "Exile,"
you return to the palace wearily
to take your wife and child to Benaras.
I wrote a second version of the script
to see if by injecting conflict there—
because superior intelligence
found Harishchandra devoid of conflict
and way short of great poetry—silent,
unvoiced conflict in unrebellious heart,
I could ratify art. This is what I wrote:

'Twas late afternoon when Harishchandra
arrived at the palace and in he went
straight to the queen's cozy chamber scented
with rich perfumes. The marble floor glistened
where the bright carpet felt inadequate
to cover up its variegated design.
Below the arch of corrugated pillars
on pedestals stood statuettes of gods
and goddesses all finely carved and touched;
and against the cream-white walls in vases
bloomed flowers of finest hues. In the cage,
the maina spoke and sang her instant whims.
In through large windows poured the southern sun
in pools beside the double-bed covered
with red velvet on which the queen drooped low
like a withering stalk unable to bear
the weight of her own miserable soul.
Without her crown and queenly glittergold,
she sat with knees upraised, attired now
not in regal splendour and ornaments
as befitted her, but, alas, in plain,
meagre length of as course a cotton cloth
as can humbly guard human decency.
So like a blotch of perverse fate she stained
the sumptuous perfection all around
that only held back human tears could sound
the sorrow of a joyous nightingale
cruelly forced to grovel on the ground.

Without the strength to lift her head to look
at the crownless king she glanced but once
and closed her eyes to bar these questions in:
"So, what is love when decisions are made
without consulting spouse? What dignity
can woman claim when she has just no say
in matters that affect family life?
What does marriage mean if two lives once joined
by nuptial vows of sharing and caring
share not decisions that chart out their lives
and care not how it might affect the spouse?
And child too! A budling that required
all possible support and nourishment
to bloom into an upright, able soul,
now severed from all such possibilities
by parental folly. To give is fine.
Yet, all life requires a minimum
sustenance of material things
without which the soul simply flies away.
What next? How sustain our lives?
Poor, poor child! Sweet Rohitashwa! Alas!
What a princely pauper have you become!"

Even as she thus pondered wearily,
the king addressed his wife: "I have given
the crown, the sceptre and the kingdom too
to sage Vishwamitra who now commands
that we leave his country. So, let us go."
"Yes, I know, my lord!" she might have replied,
if answering back was the practice then
as it is today between a husband
and his wife. "Yes, I know! You have given
more than what you own: the kingdom's not yours;
it is the people's rightful property.
My life is my own too; so is our son's.
We have a right to choose the course it takes.
Yet you have chosen to give all away
including your own hard-earned happiness.
And I, your spouse, can only look but not
express the nettled soul or rebel thought."
Thinking thus, she played her womanly role;
up she rose like a vague vapour that lingers
against the cliffs for lack of distinct goal;
down she stept from queenly bed like a cloud
that, charged with liquid burden, does not pour;
and when the king moved slow towards the gate,
taking hold of her dear son she followed
him like a leaf that flies the howling storm.

Now comment, truthful king, upon the art
of such intentional lying and supply
that which you alone can supply with truth."

"Padma," he said, "you are not far from truth.
Shaibya and Rohitashwa were ready
and waiting in the inner courtyard where
I found them. My wife shed two large drops
of silent tears that drowned me for a while.
She did not speak a word but followed me
like a lamb unconscious of its destiny.
But what of it? The thoughts you put into
her heavy heart may well have sprouted there.
And, though her actions did not taint my deeds,
I cannot paint the storms that raged inside
the woman's heart if rage it did indeed."

"And I know nothing of heaven," I said.
"Yet I pretend to have been there, seen all.
Would you endorse such nonsense and permit
me to tell the public absolute lies?
I'd rather not! I'd prefer to be wise
than to be a poet, liar in disguise."

"Publish your work," said the honest king,
hoping that upholding truth and honesty
even by such pretentious upholders
as me would help inseminate some hearts
with it. "Publish it," his deep voice rang clear
even as he stood up with staff in hand
and bid me sweet adieu with smiling face.

I held his robe and begged that he withhold
a moment more to clarify my doubt;
but, when he knew what raced inside my head,
he softly replied, "I cannot speak of that."
And, before I could rephrase my question
or beseech him to make an exception,
he left. A mere hallucination now
vanished into thin air, real no more.

Only Harishchandras enter heaven
with their physical bodies. Only poets
enter heaven in their imagination.
Only men like me create their heaven
with all its imperfections. Only you,
dear reader, Trishankhu, hang in mid-sky
until you awaken with a crash to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment